Picture Book submissions
N.b. We apologise for the delay in re-opening, but whilst working from the home the team did not have access to the submissions and so they are currently working their way through the many submissions that came through due to lockdown.
How to Submit
To help you with the submissions process, we have put some guidelines for your submission. Please read through carefully before sending us your submission. Anything that is vastly different to the guidelines will not be read.
– Manuscripts must be submitted either as a PDF or in a Word/Rich Text document. We will not read submissions that are on external links/websites or on a dropbox.
– Double line spacing, typed in a legible font, text running from one page to another (i.e. not one sentence/stanza per page). WRITING EVERYTHING IN CAPS IS NOT FRIENDLY!
– We accept stories written in rhyme or prose, but not poetry. If you don’t think rhyming is your strength then write in prose – we receive far more rhyme than prose, but ideally want to publish more prose than rhyme!
– File size no bigger than 5mb.
– Please refrain from including illustrations with your manuscript unless you are an author/illustrator. If this is the case, then please let us know whether you are happy for only the text to be used. It is a common misconception that a submission has to include illustrations – it is our job as a publisher to find an illustrator for a text, so we actually prefer not to see any illustrations (again, unless you are an illustrator!).
– In the subject heading of your email please include your name and the title of the text.
– We only accept submissions by email. Postal submissions will not accepted.
N.b. Hurrah! We do accept unsolicited manuscripts!
– We are looking for something a little bit quirky – we are called Maverick!
– We publish children’s picture story books, so please make sure that your text is a story.
– A short cover letter with some information about yourself eg. location, job and whether you are already published.
– Your name on the email (you would be amazed how many people forget to put a name!).
– It looks better if you send your own submission, unless it is being sent on your behalf by an agent.
– Please no more coronavirus-related submissions!!
N.b. At Maverick, we are looking for proactive authors, who want to go out and do events etc. It is also important for us that you write lots and really, really, really want to be an author.
Current Response Time:
We aim to respond within 12 months. Please allow 12 months before chasing a submission – if you have not heard from this after 12 months then please use the form below to contact us. If you have any questions about submitting which are not answered by the guidelines or the video then please use the form below.
Please note that during the pandemic we worked remotely, so were unable to respond to submissions – therefore we are a little behind! Please be patient while we try to catch up. We respond to everyone!
Submission Queries (Do not use this form for submissions)
Please use the below form in enquire about submissions. Please only enquire if you have not heard from us after 12 months.
Please do not use this form to find out whether your submission is suitable or to try and skip the submissions queue! Hopefully all of the above guidelines will help to make sure that your submission is suitable for Maverick.