Maverick are opening their doors to work experience candidates again! However, as a small company with limited space and a busy team we do have a few stipulations…
- You must be able to get to the office and either be based locally or have somewhere local to stay (such as with a friend or relative). This is not a paid position, so it doesn’t cover accommodation or transport. We have limited parking, so if you drive you may have to park offsite. However there is free parking about 5 minutes’ walk away.
- Although we would love to offer experience in a variety of roles, unfortunately we are only able to offer experience in editorial. We don’t have inhouse illustrators and our rights department is not based on site. However, our editorial team do a bit of everything, so candidates would get good experience of what it is like to work for a small independent publisher (we are not a large publisher and so work very differently to the ‘big’ publishers!).
- Work experience is usually for a week or two weeks. If more is needed for an assignment or part-time working is needed then this can be discussed.
- Over 18s only, ideally nifty with a computer as you may have to learn new software quickly and work on both PCs and Macs. No previous experience necessary, but relevant qualifications to working in editorial preferred.
- We cannot take on everyone and anyone we think suitable would have to have an interview first. This can either be in person or over Zoom. We are a small team and it is important that we believe the work experience will be beneficial for both parties!
- Your work experience could involve some of the following activities/skills:
- Using InDesign and learning to lay out a book.
- Reading and responding to submissions.
- Creating marketing material in Photoshop.
- Filling in metadata.
- Creating activity packs for our readers.
- Updating our websites.
- Reading through and editing texts.
- Proofreading copy.
- Due to the whole situation with Covid, we may have to cancel work experience with little or no notice. Also, we work in quite close proximity, so someone coming in would have to be happy with this (though we are all 1m apart).
- Finally… Our hours are 9 till 5 and we are a five minutes’ walk to Horsham town centre and 10minutes from Horsham station!
If you like the sound of the above, then please do get in touch and send us your CV: